Sunday 29 June 2008

Where has the taste gone?

A few weeks ago my daughter brought back so carrots that a friend of hers had grown on his grandfather's farm. They looked awful - twisty, curly and decidedly unappetising. Until you tasted them. Real old-fashioned carrot taste which was absolutely lovely. Wind forwards to today. Carrots which looked gorgeous from Tescos, lovely orange look but they tasted of absolutely nothing. Literally nothing. I could have been eating hot cardboard. Supermarkets have been brilliant at bringing us cheap food but at what cost (and I am going to ignore here issues such as carbon miles)? The loss of taste in what we eat has been considerable - the supermarkets assumption that looks are everything (and to be fair I am not certain who is pushing this - is this consumer or supermarket driven?). I want my food to taste of something .. so please ...

1 comment:

BenefitScroungingScum said...

I've got the most gorgeous tasting carrots growing outside, along with lettuce, tomatoes, cucmber, chillies, peppers and garlic. As I've no garden they're all in pots outside the house, easy and cheap to grow from seed, and so much fun to do!
I'll get some photos done for the blog, BG