Wednesday 25 June 2008

Our friends and allies

I have long held the British armed forces in great esteem - especially since I come from a family with very strong military connections (my grandfather was an Old Contemptible) and hold the Gurkhas in especial esteem. So when I hear a story about an ex-Gurkha being turned away from an NHS cardiology unit I am appalled. Now I suppose it might be argued that in some respects Gurkhas join up through no love of Britain but because it provides a way out of poverty in Nepal, but that misses the point: they joined OUR forces and I believe that a duty of care exists to those people who served in our military. Its not just that Tul Bahadur Pun was turned away but was threatened with a very large bill.

One final point: Mr Pun won a VC in Burma

Story here: http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-news/local-hounslow-news/2008/06/25/west-mid-turn-gurkha-hero-away-109642-21149076/