Saturday 2 August 2008

Three Choirs


It's our turn now and the city is heaving - the Worcester festival is being run to coincide with it - with more tourists than I have seen for a very long time - foreign voices being very conspicuous around the streets.
I struggled my hip around the cathedral today with my son, even though large parts of it were roped off for the opening concert tonight. The new organ was in place looking and sounding magnificient.
I am an atheist but I still find that I am uplifted everytime I go into the cathedral, the spirits of those long dead masons, artisans and builders who built such a wonderful building on faith, civic pride still pervade. Unlike most buildings from the medieval times, the cathedral is still alive, still living, still part of the community from which it sprang all those years ago.

No comments: