Thursday 28 August 2008

1s, 2s, 2p, 3s

My son has been accepted to do A level chemistry (as well as geology and computer science) at the local six form college. Problem is that it is now so long that I did any form of chemistry that I am just so rusty. I have decided therefore to try and catch up - if only so I can follow what on earth he is doing!

I always felt that A levels were the most difficult examinations I ever did - you seem to have to learn a fairly broad but deepish understanding of a subject, whereas, of course, at university the subject narrows but deepens (yes yes first years are fairly entertaining!). I am not - yet until I see what a modern chemistry A level is like - going to get into the debate as to whether standards have slipped or just that the structure of the course has changed beyond all recognition so that comparisons cannot be made between the winner-takes-all exams at the end of two years or the modern modular course.

Anyway been reminding myself of the electron shells of the elements at the beginning of the periodic table as well as joys (at least to the organic chemist - physical chemists tend to look at this in horror!) of orbital hybridisation.

So here we go: pi and sigma bonds ... Hund's rule, sp3 hybridisation, sp2 hybrids - double bonds, shapes of methane, ammonia and water etc etc

Got a feeling that this might be a longish journey!

I might not know it but I do hope I understand it!

No comments: