Monday 25 August 2008

Political Inhumanity

I thought the idiocy concerning Myra Hindley was the height but that lasted lesss than 24 hours.

I discovered this earlier. In essence an ambulance controller refused to send out a vehicle to an injured motocross rider because the event was covered by private medics. The transcript of the call makes astonishing reading:

EXTRACTS FROM THE TRANSCRIPT..

The caller explains the rider's medical situation and after questioning explains that a private ambulance service is at the event.

Shift manager: "Are you working for a private ambulance service?"

Caller: "We are."

Shift manager: "Okay, well I can't send you an ambulance I'm afraid."

Caller one: "We don't have an ambulance on site and we cannot transport as we cannot leave the event."

Shift manager: "Well I'm sorry, I'm not sending an NHS resource, I'm sorry. When you guys put in the business case that should all be addressed, and I can't send an ambulance and deprive the local community of an NHS resource to transfer a patient."

Caller: "I'm sorry, this patient is seriously ill here. He has suspected head and neck injuries and we do not have a vehicle to transport."

The shift manager explains to a member of the committee running the club (caller two) that if they have paid for medical cover they must provide an ambulance.

Caller two: "We have a guy who is bleeding from the mouth, he's agitated, we've got oxygen on him, we need an ambulance."

Shift manager: "No."

Caller two: "You want us to leave this person lying in a field till we get an ambulance? Is that what you're saying?"

Shift manager: "Excuse me, do you want me to leave a person with chest pain who is paying the NHS to get ambulance provision?

The shift manager then asks to speak to whoever is in charge of the incident, at which point caller three, identified as the clerk of the course, takes the phone.

Caller three: "Every meeting we have run for about the last ten years, when we've asked for an ambulance to come on site, they have come on site. This is the first time I've heard of anything like this. I don't understand this at all."

Shift manager then asks to speak to the manager of the private ambulance service.Shift manager: "I'm sorry, but I'm not sending an ambulance until I clarify exactly what is going on here."

Caller four then brings over his head, identified as caller five, and following more to-ing and fro-ing, he says they will use a car they have.

Caller five: "I'm not going to argue, I'm going to put the phone down."

Apart from the obvious point that the shift manager considered that her political viewpoint was more important than the health of the injured rider, there is also the normal anonymity that is now to be found.

That shift manager could have killed the rider but who was that person? Was she fired? (like hell) What further action was taken ? (Damn all I suspect)

No comments: