Tuesday 25 November 2008

The NHS can be efficient ...

Had the pre-admission screenings today which took up most of the afternoon but it went so smoothly that I couldn't believe it....

Started off on the orthopaedic ward, seeing the admissions nurse (swabs, BP, weight, height etc) followed by a chat to the ward sister - can I have an epidural block instead of a general - and a long discussion on recovery, then to see the OT who dealt with post-operative care - the height of my sofa at home will be a problem, as will getting my leg on in the morning. Then off to get some blood extracted where I wound up a 3rd year medical student (poor sod!) who actually did the needle work, then for an ECG (still pumping!) and finally X-Rays ... all in 2 hours 30 mins which was quite amazing ....

No comments: