Thursday 22 January 2009

Six Weeks

It is now six weeks since the operation - a magic figure since I am now "allowed" to do all of the things that I was banned from - swimming, driving etc so it is probably as good as time as any to reflect upon the recovery.

Firstly I am walking better than I have for years - the rolling gait that I had previously has completely disappeared - and the limb centre in particular have commented upon the improvement. I am also not walking upon tip-toes either, something I did obviously to ease the pain from the arthritis and I am placing my feet much more squarely upon the ground.

I still have muscle discomfort, which was made worse by the pinging of a tendon (muscle?) a couple of weeks back which caused intense pain for a few days, but to be honest that is now fading from pain to an ache. It is worse when I go from a sitting to a standing position when the pain hits ... start walking and the discomfort vanishes very quickly. Keep going and I am pain free. Walking is bliss - absolutely lovely and (with a stick initially) I have literally walked miles.

I can also (with great care) hop - it sound laughable but when I was younger I could literally imitate Dudley Moore brilliantly (or was it the other way round?) and being able to get to the shower without assistance from crutches or my spare leg is wonderful .

A few downers - I am terrified of kneeling down still - enhanced since the muscle/tendon problem - although its really of standing up I suppose ...

One final thought: the horrible NHS chair that dominates our living room can now go .....

No comments: