Wednesday 21 January 2009

Anybody want a Unix/Linux/Security guy?

I had my contract cancelled last week - 5 months early. To be honest I wasn't expecting for the contract to be renewed in June, not in this current climate, but for it to be cancelled part way through has come as a hell of a shock. I have been assured that it wasn't anything to do with me ("you are a highly regarded part of the team" "Its just a numbers game" etc etc) but after 11 years with the company, knowing that it wasn't your fault doesn't make it any easier.

The job market isn't just dire, it is non-existent for both the contract and permanent positions and I am getting fairly despondent about the future.

I am not in a dying industry - the world revolves around IT and I have kept my skills up to date (clustering, security, virtulisation, web technologies amongst other things ) so it is gutting for this to happen.

Oh well - time to dust of the CV and pray .....

No comments: