Friday 13 February 2009

The big match ....

One of the joys of attending a Welsh University was watching the intensity of the passion for the England-Wales match. I was lucky in that I went to Aberystwyth towards the end of the great Welsh ascendancy during the 1970s when they were all conquering with some of the most gifted players of all time.

The television room was always packed with mainly Welsh supporters, who were generous (not surprising I suppose since they beat England for the 3 years that I was there) and my love of rugby really started then.

Although an English supporter, I always have a soft spot for Welsh rugby and so tomorrow will be a big day for me ...

The whole family are decending upon an ex-colleague who live up the Garw Valley north of Bridgend, where will I be cheering on (a probably doomed) England but there will also be a lot of friendship watching the game we both love.

No comments: